Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Scissor Distressing Technique

or How to Beat Up Paper With Scissors

I have used this technique many times before. However, It was brought to my attention that not everyone knows how to do this. This is why I love your feedback and questions, it makes me realize how much I take for granted. So never feel bad about asking because if it occurred to you it probably did to someone else as well. So I have created this little tutorial to show you what I mean by Scissor Distressing.

You will need your paper/cardstock, some distressing inks and........are you ready for it? The secret tool..................................

Your SCISSORS! I bet that came as a surprise didn't it.

1.There are two ways to do this and you will find and choose which way makes you most happy. For the first method open your scissors slightly to create a "V" shape. Place your paper or cardstock at the point and drag it. Be bold and do not worry about tearing or cutting your paper, after all this is the whole point behind doing this. You will notice that there are several companies out there with tools that will do this for you. Yes I own a couple of versions of them but I find my natural instinct is to return to my trusty scissors.


2. The second method is opening your scissors up as if you were going to curl ribbon. Then place the edge against the paper/cardstock and pull toward yourself. Once again don't worry about rips and tears after all this is what you wanted a distressed and vintage feel. This method is my personal favourite to use.

Try both methods and find the one that you feel most comfortable with but don't forget the other as they both have some unique qualities to the finish they give your work.



2. After you've finished all the edges of your paper/cardstock it will look somewhat like this. You can absolutely use your paper as it is now or you can add some depth and aging to it with the next step.




3. Pull out your distressing inks and choose a combination that will help your finished layout or card flow together. I almost always use Black Soot or the Black Walnut as my darkest color then choosing the lighter color to enhance the colors of my layout. Start with the lightest color and either using a sponge or using direct to paper add your ink until your happy. Then apply your mid colors if your going to use more than two. Finally add your darkest color to the edges to really make the cuts and tears pop up.

**** Please note that you can also use other inks for accenting your distressed edge. Just be sure you know and understand how they behave so you can get the look your wanting for your project. ***

I hope that this has been helpful and that you will find yourself using it , if yout going to be working along side of me in the coming months you will see that I do use it ALOT.

4 comments:

Lisamariemlt said...

so glad someone else asked
I love your layouts with this technique on them and didn't quite know how you did it

love the lesson
thanks a million

Lulu's Scraps said...

you rawk!

*SHeRRy B* said...

TFS!

Kate said...

LOVE THIS! I do it a lot. You forgot to add "Don't wear nice clothes" because you get card stock bits all over the place~! LOL It's great to know how to do these techniques using every day tools instead of the SUPER expensive technique specific tools. Love your blog Dawn!